Sunday, August 26, 2012

Rural Private Property Rights or Lack Thereof

There is nothing like a good ole' slap in the face by some local ordinance or regulation, that you were not aware of, delivered by a local bureacrat. The sting is quite memorable. My experience is not rare among rural citizens. We tend to keep to ourselves, happy just living away from all of the urban sprawl. It is our own fault, however, not being as involved with our local commissioners as we should be. I have learned my lesson.

 Our problems with big brother begin whenever we decide to enjoy our own property. Maybe we want to do some landscaping or build an out building.  Perhaps we want to drill a water well or dig a small pond. Hold on there, folks! Not without permission from the local county government! What has America become?

 I don't know about most folks, but I chose to live away from the cities and the homeowners associations for a reason. I wanted to be able to enjoy my property just as our Founders enjoyed theirs. I like to garden. I want to wash my car in the driveway. I like to have large gatherings with friends and cook out on the week-ends, without worrying about bothering the neighbors. I want to tinker on old cars, tractors, boats, atv's, etc. without worrying about clutter regulations. I like hunting on my property and target shooting with my favorite rifle or shot gun. Most of all, at night I like sitting outside with my wife, watching the stars, and enjoying the quietness of it all.

Someone has to defend what is left of our private property rights and try to ease some of the ridiculous ordinances and regulations thrust upon us. That someone begins with me. I will attend county commissioners meetings and call my state representative, and I encourage all that I come in contact with, to follow my lead. After all, it is in our best interest to be able to enjoy our life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness, without a permission slip.

No comments:

Post a Comment