Tuesday, August 23, 2011

All Shook Up

These are truly strange times. Today around 1:55pm, whilst sitting in front of the computer, the world literally shook. I sat in my chair staring at the swinging chandelier over my dining room table, hearing a set of wind chimes jingling merrily along, finally realizing that "this isn't normal". Immediately I got up from my chair and went to the window, expecting to see a black thundercloud or a funnel cloud, but NO, nothing but blue skies and zero wind in the trees. Out of the corner of my eye, I see movement. The water in my swimming pool is sloshing around, spilling over the edges. Whoa! My wife says "what the heck is going on?". That was how it happened today. My first ever experience with a seismic event. Eastern North Carolina is not the place that this kind of thing happens, you see.
A little while later, on Fox News, I learn that a 5.8 quake has struck in Virginia. I also see that a lot of other folks were as un-nerved as me. Well, fortunately, time went by and the world stayed steady under my feet. The people on the left coast may laugh at us here, but there is quite a difference between the famed San Andreas  Fault and say, Mineral, Virginia. As a veteran of many bad hurricanes, I imagine those left coast folks might find a Cat 1 hurricane a bit frightening. Oh well, it really doesn't matter any way. After all, on the other side of the world, a Muslim dictator is being removed from power by a bunch of Sharia loving Muslim Brotherhood rebels. Do you smell the sweet smell of democracy? Feel the embrace of liberty? Ummm. Neither do I.


No comments:

Post a Comment